Thursday, February 28, 2013
I have been very happy with the effect .... until now because (a) all the roofs are beginning to look the same (b) the thickness of each tile looks overscale (which has never bothered me before but is starting to - a worrying sign - next I'll be worrying about loco running numbers and head codes) and (c) the pattern is repetitive (which is my fault because I should have built in the odd broken or dislodged slate).
However, on Lee's lnr model making blog he shows a very effective technique for home made tiles using slightly textured wallpaper.
Since my blog is in part to record the things I learn and in part to share with fellow new modellers those things (on the off chance any read this), I am unembarrassed to say that this is a revelation to me, although I am now reminded that I saw Geoff Taylor do something similar on his DVD.
Anyway, I think it's brilliant and I am going to try it for the chapel.
Saturday, February 23, 2013
I started this layout 3 years ago and this photograph shows my first attempt at scenic modelling. It's supposed to be an estuary but you can see that it is simply a baseboard painted grey.
The photograph isn't great (and neither is the modelling - I think I could do better now with a bit more experience under my belt) but it's to illustrate a point. I never got round to finishing it off. I do that often - get bored with one thing and move to another. But every time I look at this part of the layout I feel a pang of guilt. I must get round to the water. But how? That has troubled me and one of the better reasons I never completed the scene.
Monday, February 18, 2013
Saturday, February 16, 2013
The parcel was from Station Road Baseboards. Impressive service - next day delivery. I found them quite by accident Googling for clear plastic sheet to try out the new (to me anyhow) window frame technique I'd read about on Iain Robinnson's blog.
Anyhow, progress on the chapel. Using plasticard sheet, fiddly bits of plastic strip and Milliput filler I have just about completed the window surrounds. A bit of filing and sanding down tomorrow once everything is properly dry. It's a reasonably pleasing overall effect but close inspection shows up unevenness of some of the surrounds. I now have a neck and headache.
Thursday, February 14, 2013
I had thought about a layout with lots of points and interesting operational possibilities, but came to realise I really didn't want that. I wanted an excuse to try scratch modelling and watch trains go round and round and in and out of the landscape. And I wanted to run any train from any era whilst pretending it was 1960 and I was eating a boiled egg with my dad and brother on the railway embankment at Weedon.
Real train enthusiasts will hate this layout.
I read lots of books and articles about how the railway should fit the landscape and not vice versa. I started out with good intentions but then got bored. It was too restrictive - the idea of having everything pre-planned. I wanted a town, a village, a bridge across an estuary, a viaduct and a canal and I was going to have them come what may. And if it looked awful, I would rip it up and start again. The result is beginning to look a bit patchwork. If and when I start another layout I will try to have a more unifying theme but for the time being, I don't really care. I'm just enjoying the learning experience.
I may attempt a better drawing at some point. It's a chance to aimlessly while away time.
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
I've not been able to get on with the chapel. Work keeps getting in the way, but I passed a pleasant couple of hours on the Virgin Voyager from London today reading the Iain Robinson and lnrmodels blogs. Not that VV's are at all pleasant - the seats are uncomfortable and the toilets smell - but the blogs were a satisfying distraction. The things you learn - techniques and materials that would never have occurred to me - scribed foamex for stonework or window frames from clear styrene and brasso for example. I'm going to have hours of fun and frustration experimenting.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Sunday, February 10, 2013
the windows painted (using white primer and Ford Red Burgundy, both from Halfords)
and the quoins added (or at least some of them).
Making videos is a great excuse for putting off cutting out the quoins for the chapel (which I have learned is the architectural name for the stone blocks on the outside corner wall of a building).
Sunday, February 3, 2013
I've allowed 10mm at the bottom so as to set the completed building into the landscape.
Saturday, February 2, 2013
Heater on, watch the trains, a bit of modelling and BBC Radio 4. Bliss. Best of all is when one of the grandkids comes up to have a look and a play. I hope this blog will remind them of happy times.
The fiddle yard.
.... using these stock laser cut windows from York Modelmaking which are are perfect. Plenty of quality materials for scratch building. I made a station a few months ago but I don't really like it. The York Modelling station canopy supports have given me an idea though.
I saw an article last week (in BRM) where the modeller had built an entire stone warehouse using DAS and had scribed and painted each stone individually. It looked incredible. I don't think I would have the patience but will maybe give it a go.